12 November 2010

Quilting Fabric Efficiency

I read this quote by quilt designer Kathie Holland today in Sew Scrappy, Volume 1 (Quilts for Fabric Lovers) magazine, which made me smile about just how efficient a quilter can be.
"I usually buy half yard cuts. Every fabric I bring into my sewing room I first cut in half, which leaves me with 2 fat quarters. I put away one piece and cut the other into strips 6.5", 4.5", 3.5" and 1.5" wide. I toss those strips into baskets marked by widths. For me, it became a time-saver. I got tired of making a mess pulling out all my fabrics every time I started a new project. Having these strips ready, I now just pull out the basket and most often have what I need to start cutting. Even for applique shapes, I can usually cut the pieces I need from the wider strips I already have. If I want a bigger piece, I go to my stash and still have enough remaining for an 18" square".

Does this not demonstrate just how determined quilters are to be organised and to not waste any lifetime quilting opportunities!
Sandra May

No comments: