07 June 2010

The Perfect Day

My husband and I often speculate about what would be our perfect day, which is quite obviously largely different given the 'mars and venus' theory. Let me tell you about my Sunday, an almost Perfect Day in my books.


I started at the Eveleigh Artisans' Market (supporting independent designers and artists) held in Darlington (Sydney), adjacent to Carriageworks. My fingers were tingling with temptation and anticipation as I surveyed the felting, bright gorgeous knitting, garments (some featuring oriental fabrics), innovative delicate pottery, screen printed textiles and much more. Note from a dog owner: it is even a dog friendly environment!


Feeling like my creative soul had been nurtured, I was driving home when I stumbled upon the Mitchell Road Auction Centre - 2 storeys of fossicking ensued. The upstairs area is full of traders with antique and vintage items. Being on my own (i.e. husband and child-free) I was able to explore every nook and cranny, every book case and every jewellery display. My heart soared. I found vintage ribbons, fabrics, silks, tea towels, table cloths, buttons ........ I spent hours there with my repurposing creative juices running wild.


Leaving there with my head spinning, I returned home to bake a beautiful lamb hot pot. Then it was time to attack the mending pile - where I discovered I can no longer thread a needle, unaided. Thank goodness for self-threading needles, a good Arial lamp and suddenly a dark winters night was not stealing my precious time.

After a delightful family meal, a visit from some family friends gladly assisted by wine and laughter, this for me is about as perfect as a day can get. A satisfied soul that sighs as you retire for the evening. Sandra.

PS Stay tuned for my July market excursion - the Bundeena Markets

No comments: