13 October 2009

More from Houston Quilt Market

This is my last morning in Houston! Alas, I lugged my suitcase down to the post office ready to (as cheaply as possible!) despatch my samples and multitude of wonderful things home, only to find the post office is closed due to a public holiday (Columbus Day) . Columbus has a lot to answer for this morning! Thank goodness for our good friend FedEx.

I have hardly slept while I have been in Houston, as my body clock never really adjusts. Waking at 4am and feeling ravenous is always disturbing. By day I trawl the 22 aisles of booths (can you imagine 22 aisles?) and by night I have been putting together our Christmas catalogue. With our lovely modern technology I was able to send our exciting 8 pager to our loyal printers via file transfer at 2am this morning.

My day starts at 6am - I am invariably first in the restaurant for breakfast after waking at 4am (lucky I had a thriller of a novel to read). Soon after 7am I am on a bus for the short trip to the convention centre. Grab a coffee and into the first lesson the day.

Day One was a class with Marti Michell learning how to use her log cabin ruler (see left, a log cabin with Kaffe Fassett fabric). I discovered how to use her rulers to quickly and simply cut fabric for maximum efficiency to put together several blocks in one sitting.

Day Two was creative time with Shiva Paintstiks. We received a very generous package of goodies (see my creation, right, using gold, orange, yellow and red paintstiks on plain black fabric. I discovered by using my finger as a paint brush, I could create a lovely shadowing effect from the rubbing plates.

Our package of goodies included the Paintstiks book, two rubbing plates, two paint brushes (see left), newly released stencils, light, dark and multicoloured fabrics to play on and three mini paintstiks. WOW!! I was really in my element here!

My creative senses have been working overtime with visual delights to be had everywhere. I always love cathcing up with Iris, the creator of Misty Fuse.


Sandra May








No comments: