09 September 2009

Book Review - It's A Wrap


It’s A Wrap by Susan Brier has a preface containing some sage words from the author, that I can really relate to. She says, ‘Hobbies help me stay active, learn new things and keep up with what is new. I feel great when I create something special using skills that I’ve learned.’ And, ‘I’ve chosen to be good to myself. I’ve waited a long while for time for myself’! We should all take note of Susan’s wisdom. Her book is a celebration of the simple – simple stitches (straight and zigzag), and simple techniques (wrap, wind & sew) which when combined result in the most fantastic containers, which look anything but simple! Whether you choose to use purpose bought fabrics, or scraps from previous masterpieces, the finished result will be magnificent. Start with a plate shape to learn the technique, then experiment with four basic container styles to create square, oval, round and other shapes, along with lids, handles and embellishments. Never has cotton clothesline been put to such good use! Other basic supplies required include; fabric glue stick, fray stoppa, fusible web, bag handles, tacky craft glue, masking tape, and good thread. Tools needed include; appliqué or zigzag foot, rotary cutter, cutting mat, quilting ruler, scissors, hand sewing needles, universal or sharp machine needles, measuring tape, needle nose pliers, sewing machine, stiletto 6th finger and sewing pins. This book is quite inspiring and exciting - I can feel a whole set of place mats coming on...

No comments: