06 June 2009

Craft Therapy

We firmly believe in the benefits of 'craft as therapy'. Share your experience of this with us in writing and we will donate $10 per story to The Cancer Council. To discuss further with a member of our staff, simply call 1300 307 721.

This is Wendy's Story: At 51 years of age, following a divorce, then 2 years later a new marriage, I discovered a lump in my remaining breast which was diagnosed as another cancer. Then my husband lost his job, and we had to move to another city to find work. With all the turmoil I became depressed and defeated but was aware that I had to get out to meet people so I joined the local golf club, embroidery group and learned to play Bridge but was extremely fragile emotionally. My insecurity and fragility was noticed up by one of the women I had befriended at the golf club, and seeing that I was struggling with life, she invited me to her place on the spur of the moment to show me a really interesting quilting pattern she had just learned. I explained that I had never done any quilting but she insisted that was an even better reason to come on over and stay for lunch. She insisted that I just come empty handed as she had two sewing machines and plenty of scrap material in her 'stash' for me to practice with. That dear friend saved my life by introducing me to a mental therapy more valuable and effective than any of the anti-depression drugs on the market, and I will be forever grateful for her warmth, love and caring nature, and for the sheer joy I get with every minute spent quilting or with other quilters.
We were so touched to hear Wendy's journey and in speaking with her she told me how incredibly important Quilting has been for her self worth, self confidence and self esteem. I want to share with you this quote from Wendy: 'Every day is a new present to open'. We applaud you Wendy and may you continue to quilt and use your creativity as therapy. Sandra May

1 comment:

Elaine Ramsey said...

Hi, My name is Elaine I also like Wendy have some upheavil in my life. I lost a son in an accident in 1989 things seemed so bad that I turned to drink but the sadness was still there as I am a seamstress I tthrough myself into sewing which I love but 4 years ago things came back about what happened in my past that I was suisidal and needed councilin. After taht and talking to people I decided to give applique and patckwork ago and I can thourally recomend craft as therapy I have a whole new life. My motto is to live life, love life